[whatwg] <video> fallback behaviour (was: Re: <video> element feedback)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:08:37 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>> BTW, this would be a lot simpler to do if the src="" attribute was made
>> optional:

>>    <script>
>>     document.getElementsByTagName("video")[0].src = "foo.ogg";
>>    </script>
>>
>> I think this should be allowed. Without the src attribute, the video
>> element could represent a placeholder where a video might have been
>> relevant (e.g. if scripting was enabled).
>
> Currently without a src="" attribute the element represents a black
> square.

Oh. I thought <video> fallback would work pretty much like <object>
fallback, but I see that's not the case. When I think about it it makes
sense; <video> is pretty much like <iframe>, it never falls back in UAs
that support it.

> I think that's better than having the entire rendering change when
> you change the src="", no?

Agreed.

--
Simon Pieters