[whatwg] Attribute proposal: <video autostart>

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> Automatic behavior in HTML has been traditionally expressed through
> scripting. It's not hard to write a one-line script which automatically
> starts playback, but solutions based on scripting are easier to
> circumvent on the user side (and it's good).
>
> -1 for |autoplay|.

It's been my experience that annoyances based on attributes and elements
are far easier to tame than those using script.

For example, it was trivial to remove the effects of target="_blank" on
links, but harder to tame window.open. Modern UA's block calls to that
function altogether, causing many scripts to fall over because they
expect window.open to always succeed.

I'd say in the general case it's far easier to block declarative
instructions (elements, attributes) in a useful way than it is to block
imperative instructions (JavaScript statements), because it's much
easier to reason about what the author was trying to achieve in the
former case.