[whatwg] Video playback UI

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:52:35 +0100
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:18:00 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
wrote:

>> A compromise solution that I propose is to include a standard set of
>> browser-provided controls, displayed by default and styleable through
>> CSS pseudo-elements and pseudo-classes:

> I think this is far too complex for such a simple feature. What's
> outlined in the current draft, with a possible future extension of
> <video ui> to turn UI on seems more sensible, easier to support and
> easier to author.

I accept the point about implementation complexity, but I still think it
would be better if the UI was on by default and could be disabled by the
author. Otherwise, the author can just "forget" to enable the UI without
actual intention to implement his own, degrading usability of the page.

I don't think that one :toolbar pseudo-element which could be hidden as
follows adds too much to implementation complexity:
video:toolbar { display: none }

It's also important because CSS styling can be overriden by the user, whie
an attribute on <video> element generally cannot.