[whatwg] Thesis draft about HTML5 conformance checking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> If lightweigh browsers [on mobile devices] with less tolerance of tag
> soup carry more weight

I don't know why you think that browsers on mobile phones have less
tolerance of tag soup. All the testing I have seen shows that they support
tag soup as much as the desktop browsers. In fact the only browsers that I
am aware of that actually has stricter (XML) parsing on mobile phones is
Opera, running the same core engine as the desktop Opera browser.

(See, e.g., http://simon.html5.org/articles/mobile-results but note the
paragaph at the bottom of http://simon.html5.org/test/mobile/ which points
out that the only "pass" line for a non-Opera browser is in fact a false
positive, that browser in fact having even more tolerant parsing and even
less support for the relevant standards.)

> All considered, of course I understand your point that desktop browsers
> *today* have a considerable influence in defining the state of the art
> of the web. But any standardization work, or study of the web, made
> under the assumption that other classes of product only have a minor
> importance because for the most part they follow this current balance of
> power and mimick the desktop browsers, is IMHO missing a good chunk of
> the "big picture".

Given that I work for a company that authors content by hand, provides a
template-based Web authoring tool, runs a search engine, contributes to a
browser's development, and is working on mobile device software, I assure
you that I agree that all of these things should be considered (and, in
the WHATWG context, are). My original point, which I still believe is
true, is that the details of the _parsing model_ of search engines is not
important. That is what is relevant in the context of Henri's thesis.