[whatwg] Video proposals

--- Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:

>    It's all about ease of authoring. If you were new to HTML, would you
> want to do this...
>
> | <object data="TheEarth.mpeg" type="video/ogg-theora"></object>
>
> ...Or this...
>
> | <video src="TheEarth.mpeg"></video>
>
>    Do you know the MIME type for Ogg Theora? I don't. I made it up. If
> the MIME type on the object listed doesn't say "video" in it, would you
> even know if the <object> element was for a video???

The type attribute for object elements is optional if the data attribute is present. That's not
new either - it was also specified that way in HTML 4.01.

Some browsers have not been compliant about it, but people will probably be able to use an object
element without a type attribute without worry before they're able to use a video element without
worry.

There's several good reasons for introducing a video element, but I don't consider easier markup
to be one of them.