[whatwg] Video proposals

From: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:34:10 +0100
> ON PLAYLISTS
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Shadow2531 wrote:
> > The handler should also support some type of playlist like
> > <http://www.xspf.org/>.
>
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> > #3: Playlists.  (A single video file just won't cut it.)
>
> These were the only requests for playlists. Could you elaborate on the use
> cases for playlists? What are the needs for playlists?

I immediately though of uses like this:
<http://www.scribemedia.org/2006/12/04/javascript-redux-brendan-eich/>
where the actual talk is split into 5 pieces for whatever reason, or
Douglas Crockford's JavaScript talks videos, among many others.

> ON FEATURES
> > #8: Alternate versions.
> Could you elaborate on this?

How about the case where you want to provide a low and a high
bandwidth version, or a widescreen/normal screen aspect ratio version,
or something similar.

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Nicholas Shanks wrote:
> >
> > You may want to consider aspect ratio too:  ratio="preserve" being
> > default, ratio="1.333" could indicate 4:3 or get tricky and accept
> > "16:9" for precision reasons.
>
> Wouldn't we simply always want to use the authored size?

How about if a user wants to view the video in a separate window,
separate tab or maybe fullscreen? Those are options where the size is
not necessarily corresponding to the video size. Another aspect here
is of course zooming/resizing/stretching and how to handle that.
--
David "liorean" Andersson