[whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Strictly speaking HTML4 does not dictate inline nature of the image.
>
> The only place I've found is this:
>
> "The IMG element has no content; it is *usually* replaced inline by the
> image
> designated by the src attribute." [1]
>
> This phrase use word "usually" that imply exceptions
> other than float cases. This is how I read this but I am not sure about
> it.

No, I believe the full quote makes it clear that float cases *are* the
exception to inline presentation:

"The IMG element has no content; it is usually replaced inline by the
image designated by the src attribute, the exception being for left or
right-aligned images that are "floated" out of line."

IMG elements do not meet the distinctions for block-level as described
in http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#didx-inline

--
Bill Mason
Accessible Internet