[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:35:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Brodrecht
To: Andrew Fedoniouk
Cc: whatwg at whatwg.org
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

>On Mar 10, 2007, at 11:03 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>It is idealistic because, say, if you will put following in your
>>.htaccess:
>>AddType foo/bar .html
>
>If I "AddType application/xhtml+xml .html" to a .htaccess file, it causes
>browsers to interpret my html as XHTML.

Beg my pardon but did you try to do this on the server hosting
robertdot.org?
It should not affect any headers. At least it was so last time I tried to do
the same.

This is just a demonstration that use of headers is limited.

There are many other ways to deliver HTML content. Only one of them
is using http protocol (so headers).

E.g. access to content by ftp, HTML as a clipboard format in
cut-n-paste operations, DOMElement.setInnerHtml use, etc.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com