[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

On Mar 10, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> And yet: web server configuration of headers is not always available.
> Public virtual site hosts is a good example.
>
> And more:
> Server adminestering and content creation are different roles/
> activities.
> As a rule different people handle these tasks. Requiring both of them
> to be involved in proces of creation of valid content will decrease
> probability that result will be valid.

People seem to have looked over the part where I suggested it could
be either a header or *an http-equiv meta tag.*  The meta tag cuts
out the backend developer / server admin.  Furthermore, if you have a
need and your host or backend developer is not willing to honor that
request, you are hiring the wrong people and you should find someone
else who will do what you need.  This isn't a major undertaking to
add this header.  There shouldn't be an instance where a professional
web designer can't come up with a way to add a header to a request
(either via global config, an .htaccess, or via a server-side
scripting command).  If I am wrong about that statement, REAL XHTML
was doomed to fail from the day it required a content-type other than
text/html.

Robert <http://robertdot.org>