[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Le Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:21:11 +0200, Shadow2531 <shadow2531 at gmail.com> a
?crit:

> On 3/10/07, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> actually I'm skeptical about this. First impression I had reading
>> the first post was "hey, do we need yet another switch?". What's
>> "super-duper" standards mode after all?
>
> From
> <http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=cccd4aa02a3993ab06e56af731346f78.2006940&fr=>,
> I got that  the standard doctypes we have now that trigger standards
> mode in IE are a problem.
>
> It seems that even in standards mode, people expect some quirky
> behavior and MS wants to retain the quirkyness even in standards mode.
> If they continue to fix standards mode, they'll break way too many
> sites.

Precisely! That's what I said: the standards mode in IE is rather quirky.
However, I do *not* buy it: I don't believe they'll magically come up with
IE.next having a "strict standards mode" which is up-to-par with the
standards mode in, say, Opera. Even if they do, don't think the standards
mode in Opera/Gecko/whatever is perfect either. They all have quirks. But
... because we are talking about IE, we will again end up having sites
relying on the "strict standards mode", and again Microsoft would break
way too many sites if they change the rendering in this new mode. It's an
endless loop. (see one of my previous replies to this thread)

> That's what I got out of the video.

That's correct. I did understand relatively the same.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future