[whatwg] Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:52:54 +0100
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:20:29 +0100, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

>> Personally I'd just give everyone HTML unless they specifically ask for
>> XML and even then those tools should be capable of handling HTML imo.
>> After all, it's the exchange format of the web.

> HTML is the exchange format only when there's a human in the loop. HTML
> is really only suited for exchanging certain basic kinds of narrative
> documents for eventual display to people, who will do the heavy labor of
> interpreting them. However, there's a lot more than that on the Web, and
> those use cases aren't really served by HTML at all, not even XHTML.

I agree that XHTML really covers more use cases than HTML because XHTML is a richer language (can represent a wider set of DOM trees). But because your article is about serving XHTML in an MSIE-compatible way, the requirement of compatibility with MSIE effectively bars the author from fulfilling those extra use cases.