[whatwg] Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:37:55 +0100
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:27:23 +0100, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Readers of this list may get a kick out of my latest developerWorks article:
>
> Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipapachexhtml/
>
> As this list has flamed about repeatedly, XHTML documents are supposed
> to be tagged as application/xhtml+xml when sent over HTTP. However
> Internet Explorer doesn't like that and won't display such a document.
> This article explains how to hack the problem by tagging a document as
> text/html for IE (and Lynx) and application/xhtml+xml for everyone else.

Interesting, but not of much use. If an author really wants to support MSIE, she needs to not only ensure that MSIE tries to render the document at all by setting its MIME type to text/html, but also to not use anything XHTML-specific that isn't possible in HTML, e.g. <p> inside <li>, or inline SVG. And if one isn't going to use these features anyway, there is no reason to prefer XHTML over HTML other than following the fashion.