[whatwg] article: do we really need this?

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> There is a problem in that <article> might still have no way of
> referencing it, but the fact that is a discrete piece of content
> suggests it should. Could include a conformance requirement for
> <article> to have a fragment identifier (e.g. for comments) and/or a

I think it's pretty danged important that each such piece have a clearly
distinguished and unique URI.

However, more often than not this URI is going to point to a different
page, rather than just the same page+a fragment ID.

In other words, the article is really not even on the page. What's on
the page is an excerpt and perhaps a link. The <article> element does
not actually contain the article.

The use cases that are being suggested are real use cases, but they seem
to be well solved by a section element, probably with some predefined roles.

I don't think the nature of an <article> is likely to be obvious to most
authors. I don't have a lot of optimism that it will be used in the way
it's intended, if it's used at all.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!