[whatwg] <video> element proposal

On Mar 2, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Shadow2531 wrote:
>
>> Or, do most feel the video element should just support whatever the
>> browser wants and leave it at that?
>
> Personally I was unaware that there was a platform neutral, open,
> patent unencumbered video format. However if Theora is such a
> format, then that would be a very good thing; and I'm tempted to
> say we should introduce the video element and require it to support
> Theora and only Theora just to drive its adoption in place of all
> those annoying proprietary formats that never work right from one
> browser or PC to the next.

Restricting the types of content that the <video> element can handle
will stifle future innovation, and will likely be ignored by browser
vendors who decide they would like to support new formats. It would
also be unprecedented relative to type restrictions on other HTML
elements. Having a baseline set of formats is something to consider,
but the spec should allow supporting any format that can reasonably
considered video.

Regards,
Maciej