[whatwg] Distinguishing XML and HTML by content sniffing

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:33:51 +1100
Hi all,

For user agents like Prince that support XML and HTML content it is
sometimes necessary to distinguish whether a .html file is actually XML
or HTML in order for it to be processed correctly.

I've written an article for XML.com explaining exactly how Prince
performs content sniffing to distinguish XML and HTML documents:

     What Does XML Smell Like?
     http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2007/02/28/what-does-xml-smell-like.html

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. No doubt at some point it
will be necessary to revise our heuristics for HTML5 :)

Best regards,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!