[whatwg] Entity parsing

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:40:25 +0200
On Monday 25 June 2007 09:19, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > What about the Gecko entity parsing extension?
> >
> > - IE consitently parses unterminated entities from latin-1
> > - Gecko parses all unterminated entities, even those beyond latin-1, but
> > only in text-content, not in attributes. (seems my recent firefox also
> > supports the IE parsing in attributes now.)
>
> Well we can't support two at once... There seems to be more of a case for
> having the spec support the IE model.

They are not incompatible.

In Konqueror, we support both, and it appears by my little test that Firefox 2
does the same now.

- In attributes all unclosed latin-1 tags are accepted.
- In text-content ALL unclosed tags are accepted.

A little inconsistent, but I believe there was a few websites, and a chat
application that made me implement the Gecko quirk.

Anyway I don't mind restricting it to latin-1, I just wanted to make sure it
had been considered.

`Allan