[whatwg] innerHTML for HTML and <plaintext>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:58:06 +0200
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:26:57 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>>> <plaintext> in general isn't supported by the innerHTML spec -- for
>>> example, it would always introduce a new </plaintext> element. Is that
>>> a problem?
>>
>> Yeah, the way the contents of a <plaintext> element node are returned
>> has given Opera at least one interop issue.
>
> What did you settle on for the implementation? I don't really know how I
> can fix this, given that it is trivial for the <plaintext> element not to
> be the last element in the DOM.

<plaintext> needs to be added to the list of elements the serialization
algorithm for Text and CDATASection nodes. That is, its contents should
not be escaped but appended literally. This is basically about
<plaintext>.innerHTML, not about any other issues <plaintext> introduces.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>