[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Jorgen Horstink wrote:

> As far as I understand it, the new DOCTYPE switch is meant to 'tell' to
> browser the document follows the HTML5 specification.

No, the new DOCTYPE is merely meant to trigger standards mode (as opposed
to quirks mode).

> HTML5 is set up to be backwards compatible with HTML4 documents. The
> opposite does not hold. There must be at least one new DOCTYPE to 'tell'
> the browser HTML5 is being served.

No, the opposite does in fact hold. It shouldn't matter whether the
document is HTML5 or HTML4 or earlier; they all have the same processing
rules, given by the HTML5 spec.