[whatwg] Entity parsing

From: MegaZone <megazone@megazone.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:58:21 -0400
Once upon a time Ian Hickson shaped the electrons to say...
> I've defined the parsing and conformance requirements in a way that
> matches IE. As a side-effect, this has made things like "na&iumlve"
> actually conforming. I don't know if we want this. On the one hand, it's
> pragmatic (after all, why require the semicolon?), and is equivalent to
> not requiring quotes around attribute values. On the other, people don't
> want us to make the quotes optional either.

I think the semicolon is important for readability and clarity - where
does the entity reference end?  There is potential confusion with
similarly named entities: &not; &notin; &or; &ordf; &ordm; &pi; &piv;
&sigma; &sigmaf; &sub; &sube; &sup; &sup1; &sup2; &sup3; &supe;
&theta; &thetasym;

The semicolon eliminates confusion.

Personally I prefer quoted attribute values too, but I don't feel
that strongly about it.  I just now that with the quotes optional
someone is going to try to list space separated 'class' names. ;-)

-MZ
--
megazone-at-megazone.org  http://www.MegaZone.org/   Gweep, Geek, Human, me.
http://www.TiVoLovers.com/  http://www.Eyrie-Productions.com/ -><- Hail Eris