[whatwg] CR "entities" and LFCR

On Jun 8, 2007, at 09:24, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Reading a file in text mode ignores all carriage return control
> characters.
> Stray carriage returns are ignored as well.

Depends on what does the reading.

> I do not think Macintosh text files should be allowed on the Web
> without
> encoding.

I agree that sending Mac* encodings to a public network is
inappropriate. However, support for old Mac-style line breaks
regardless of encoding is commonplace and, de facto, needs to be
supported.

XML converts LF, CRLF and CR to LF on the character stream level and
leaves escaped CR or CRLF in the infoset.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/