From: Gervase Markham [mailto:gerv@mozilla.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:53 AM
To: Ryan Sarver
Cc: Henri Sivonen; whatwg at lists.whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Ryan Sarver wrote:
> There are obvious privacy concerns -- I feel they can be alleviated
with
> the proper level of control for the user. Currently in our prototypes,
> the browser prompts the user for each request, which they can allow or
> deny and then remember that preference for subsequent requests from
that
> domain. What type of privacy control are you envisioning?

I actually think it's easier to design a UI for this than many other
things we might ask the user about. Explaining the impact of setting a
cookie is rather hard. However, one example of the UI could be:

The website skyhookwireless.com wants to know where you are.

Firefox thinks you are [ Home: XX Heene Road, Enfield, London |V]

Tell skyhookwireless.com:

(o) Nothing
( ) To the nearest kilometre
( ) To the nearest 100m