[whatwg] several messages about HTML5

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:38:48 +0100, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> ... most of the tools that
> have been built have been built by programmers with more experience in
> WYSIWYG word processors than in semantic markup. The semanticists who
> have built GUI tools have not had the necessary user interface design
> skills to produce working programs. What is needed is some work by
> people who understand both domains.

Indeed. And to get users to use them, as has been noted. Actually there have been good semanticists working with Word and Dreamweaver. As someone (Sander?) noted, success might come faster from systems dedicated to doing a small task - CMS, blog systems, etc.

Then again...

As Adrian said, it is pretty difficult. I worked on it long enough to understand that, if not to come up with all the answers ;). But I am not convinced that it cannot be done, any more than I expect it to be an unquestioned success within my lifetime. Like peace in the Middle East, it's still a worthwhile goal we should actively strive for, IMHO.

cheers

Chaals

  hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com