[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Steve, good points...

It's also important to remember that this functionality would be an opt-in system - unlike your cell phone :) The prototype that we are working on would allow the browser to point to a COM port where it could find a GPS device or any NMEA-compatible device or software. It would then read the NMEA stream over the COM port and use that to deliver the user's location to the website via the DOM.

Our software positions you based on WiFi triangulation and can emulate a GPS device by streaming NMEA over  a virtual COM port so that the user wouldn't need to have a dedicated GPS antennae.

From: Steve Runyon [mailto:s.runyon@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:48 PM
To: Ryan Sarver
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

Makes sense to me.  And while the privacy issues that others have brought up are real, it does seem doable to make it user-configurable.  Perhaps the first time the user hits a site that wants to know where they are they have the more-or-less standard "disallow/allow this time/always allow" options?

And as with cell phones (which in the US at least must include location info when the user dials 911 for help), there should be reasonable guarantees that intelligence agencies and law enforcement can't activate the locator unbeknownst to the user without a search warrant.