[whatwg] HTML 5 and PHP

Keryx Web wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Now that the HTML5 specification has a very clear HTML parser
>> specification, it would be relatively simple for someone to write an
>> HTML5 parser in PHP which can then be used with the XML pipeline. This
>> has already been done with Python, for instance:
>>
>>    http://code.google.com/p/html5lib/
>>
>> The above project also provides a number of test cases:
>>
>>    http://html5lib.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tests/
>>
>> ...that can be a huge help to any parser implementation project.
>
> Although I am quite sure we are going to see some activity concerning
> (X)HTML 5 on PECL soon, the option of using native XML methods still
> appeal very much to me.

The idea of html5lib is that you can continue to use whatever XML tools
you like on the backend; you just don't use them for the actual parsing
step. In this vein html5lib supports three main XML implementations for
python; elementtree, minidom and SAX.

--
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about
science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your