[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Krzysztof ?elechowski wrote:
> Dnia 14-12-2007, Pt o godzinie 19:47 +0100, Maik Merten pisze:
>> Krzysztof ?elechowski schrieb:
>>> Remember the "-" in DOCTYPE HTML?
>> Feel free to be more specific.
>
> That prefix means that HTML DOCTYPE is not issued by an officially
> recognised standards body.  If W3C were such an organisation, we would
> have a "+" there instead.

I haven't bought the SGML specification to double-check, so feel free to
quote from it if it says otherwise.

But from everything else I've read it simply means W3C has not
registered a Public Text Owner Identifier with ISO. See also:

http://www.is-thought.co.uk/book/sgml-6.htm#FPI

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/sgml-primer-doctype-declaration.html

http://xml.coverpages.org/gca-pubidrls.html

http://xml.coverpages.org/fpiResolverFlynn.html

Any old organization can register as Public Text Owners, not just
officially recognized standards body.

The - has nothing to do to do with W3C being (or not being) recognized
as a standards body.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis