[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

El Mar 11 Dic 2007, Dave Singer escribi?:
> At 13:09  -0500 11/12/07, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> >Fact: Vorbis is the *only* codec whose patent status has been widely
> >researched, nearly to exhaustion.
>
> You are clearly completely unaware of the extensive analysis done of
> other codecs, including those that are licensed.

And all those other analyses have yielded us this stalemate?

> This is getting marginally offensive.  [...]

I disagree on the discussion getting offensive.  We aren't calling each other
names (for the record, calling a company names isn't calling each other
names, and so far not even that has happened much).

> >And even if Apple gets sued for patent infringement, that doesn't mean
> > that the suit has merits -- experts already looked at the evidence
> > surrounding Vorbis and patentability, and unanimously said "it's clear".
>
> Cool.  Bring them on.  We might even *buy* patent insurance from
> them, who knows?  Money for jam, right?

Buy your patent insurance from a third party that is not involved with the
research done by the Xiph foundation.  Just as we ALSO want a codec that is
not involved in the machinations of the proprietary companies.

> At 15:12  -0500 11/12/07, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> >And the reason they don't support it is because they have colluded against
> > Ogg Vorbis or FLAC because they free consumers from proprietary prisons
>
> Thanks for telling us our own situation and motivation.  I really needed
> that.
>
> Fact:  we ship standard codecs and container formats.  I took an iPod
> video to a standards meeting 10 days after its introduction and had
> *5* other companies using their own implementations of MP4 file
> format, AAC, and H.264, make files for it that played.  I was and
> remain proud of that;  it demonstrates more than any email how
> committed we are to a multi-vendor, open, world.

That is a testament to the value of standards.  No one ever said you didn't
make standards.  I claimed you made *proprietary* standards.  Playpens where
only the big boys get to play and the rest get to pay.  But in all fairness,
I should bring up that you also made Zeroconf possible, and that's awesome.
--

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

You would if you could but you can't so you won't.