[whatwg] Asynchronous database API feedback

From: Dan Mosedale <dmose@mozilla.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:04:31 -0800
On Dec 10, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:

>>> I'd hate for GMail to mysteriously stop working every couple of
>>> days just because of some background process that I had no
>>> knowledge of. As a developer, how would you debug such a problem?
>>> As a tech support worker, how would you explain it to an end user?

+1.  Having a bug in a single web-app be able to completely freeze the
entire UI of the entire browser (not just that window/tab) seems like
a pretty painful user experience, almost to the point of being
unacceptable.  If an end user ran into this problem very often, I
would expect them to blame the browser, and perhaps even switch to a
browser which didn't have this problem (i.e. didn't support
localStorage).

As a user, assuming a synchronous interface with timeouts, I would
almost certainly want my browser to enforce a _much_ shorter timeout
than 5 seconds... something on the order of 200ms, maybe.  Anything
that makes repainting stop just feels really bad.

>> If we cannot provide this, I feel that localstorage will not be
>> successful, so it won't matter what API it uses.
>
> I think this is a pretty extreme conclusion.

I tend to agree.  Aaron, can you describe the thinking behind this
conclusion in more detail?

Dan