[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

From: Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:56:32 -0700
On Aug 23, 2007 8:18 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > I haven't read over the details but there seems to be an obvious
> > showstopper problem: this won't work for web applications that consist
> > of more than one page.
>
> Indeed, that was called out as a potential issue. But is that really a
> problem? It's easy to work around (e.g. with iframe)s if you really must
> have multiple "top-level" pages, but aren't web apps moving to a one-page
> model anyway?
>
> The problem gets significantly more complicated with multiple top-level
> pages all taking part in the same conceptual application.

The single-page model has other nice advantages. For example, there's
never any confusion about which cache should serve a resource. It's
the one that's associated with the application which the resource is
contained in.

Could multi-page apps be addressed by letting applications specify
that other applications should be cached (using a similar api to the
one that lets applications programatically cache resources)?

- a