[whatwg] <input usemap> (was: Re: [html5] HTMLMapElement.images)

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:58:29 -0400
On 8/8/07, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:54:33 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > Should we drop it? My research indicates there's an insignificant number
> > of pages with usemap="" attributes on <input type=image> elements (on the
> > order of 0.008%).
>
> The only usecase, while using <input> as control, seems to be to make
> certain parts of the image not "clickable". Given that, it makes sense to
> me to reduce the number of attributes browsers have to implement for
> <input>...

Also, besides Safari and IE not supporting <input usemap>, Opera's
behavior of it is differs depending on whether the input is in a form
or not. (If it's not in a form, it doesn't behave like a button.)

Also, in Opera, if the map the input is associated with has 2 area
elements, each with their own title attribute, when hovering over the
coordinate range for the second area element in the image, Opera won't
display a tooltip.

For example, see http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/imagemaps/001.html
Hovering over each square should show a title tooltip, but the bottom
red one fails in Opera. Check in FF to compare.

I've only used <input usemap> for test cases and can't think of any
good use for it since it's not even supported well.

--
Michael