[whatwg] Looking at menus in HTML5...

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:19:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news at terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "WHAT WG List" <whatwg at whatwg.org>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Looking at menus in HTML5...

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> Ian, this @label in menu is a bit ugly. Consider following...
>>
>> Here is what I need:
>>
>> <menu>
>>       <menu>
>>       </menu>
>>  </li>
>> </menu>
>>
>> Pay attention on "Third option - submenu". It contains additional markup
>> and/or styling.
>
> Assuming you mean for the boldened letters to represent the accelerator
> key, the idea is that you don't have to give them at all, the user agent
> will determine the optimal accelerators.

That was just an example.

I mean that either you allow all menu items to have
arbitrary markup or all of them should have plain text only
model (so be an <option>).

In real UI there are cases when menu even contains input
elements: http://terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/css-menus.png -
so may have arbitrary markup. Menu items even
can be organized as a table (<td role=menu-item>) :
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/popupdemo.png

>> How you would achieve this with the @label?
>
> You don't need to bolden the letters, so it all Just Works.

Sorry but I am not so optimistic. You cannot build
optimal shortcut system deducing only captions.
Think about cut/copy/paste/select-all menu items
written in different languages.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com