[whatwg] Why Canvas?

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:34:01 +0200, WeBMartians <webmartians at verizon.net>
wrote:
> Why not allow the graphics primitives to operate on any element (not
> just <canvas>) that has a height and width that may be expressed in
> picture elements... ...even window.screen with its .availHeight,
> .availWidth, .height, and .width (yeah, I know, the Screen object is
> actually a JavaScript object, not an HTML DOM object)?

Because that would lead to many small nasty bugs on different elements.
Having it on a dedicated element makes it easier to implement which is a
big plus given the interoperability issues we have with <canvas> today
(although, like CSS, it's still usable).

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>