[whatwg] Target Attribute Values

At 00:36 +1200 UTC, on 2007-04-30, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

[...]

> If _blank is allowed, I would prefer the specification to discourage
> authors from using _blank when another solution is practical (e.g.
> using a <details> element in the original page)

Yes, having the spec list common (ab)use cases and pointing authors to better
options for those would be good.

> , and encourage UAs to
> indicate when a link will open in a different top-level browsing
> context (e.g. by double-underlining instead of single-underlining).

FWIW, iCab[*] indicateds such cases by a change of cursor upon hovering over
the link. (You get the same cursor when you Cmd-click or Cmd-Shift-click the
link, to load it in a new window on purpose.) This way you can keep such UA
functionaility in the chrome -- no need to mess with the content's
presentation itself.

[*] <http://icab.de/>

--
Sander Tekelenburg