[whatwg] Target Attribute Values

From: David Walbert <dwalbert@learnnc.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:58:27 -0400

On Apr 28, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Smylers wrote:

> Spartanicus writes:
>
>> As a user I detest new windows opening without having chosen to do
>> that myself.

Me too,  but...

> Surely users always have the final say anyway?

Yes, but...

Most of them don't know it. I hope this is changing, but part of my
job the past 10 years has been leading workshops demonstrating
aspects and uses of the web to people in non-IT professions, and very
few of them know this stuff. The people on this list take it for
granted that they can right-click and open in a new tab or window,
but I don't believe that feature is used often. The people in my
workshops just put up with whatever the website does. (It's painful
and frustrating to me, yes.)  I don't have any data to offer -- just
anecdotes -- and I would assume that more younger people use those
features of browsers, but still we can't assume that "users,"
broadly, are even aware they exist.

I don't know which side of the debate that puts me on. Just offering
the observation.

_____
David Walbert
LEARN NC, UNC-Chapel Hill