[whatwg] Target Attribute Values

On Apr 27, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>
>> Why is _blank still considered a conforming value?  On IRC, Hixie
>> mentioned that there are some legitimate use cases, but didn't
>> list any.
>> I've argued against popups many times before and heard many arguments
>> for them, but I'm yet to hear of any legitimate use cases.  If
>> there are
>> any, what are they?
>
> I've removed _blank from the list of valid values.

Won't this just lead authors (who care about conformance) to use
window.open(), with equally bad results that it's harder for the UA
to control? This move seems to be taking the opposite of the logic
behind the ping attribute.

One valid reason to use _blank instead of a named target to open a
new window is the fact that the top-level frame namespace is global,
and you don't want to collide with windows opened by other web apps,
or even other instances of your own web app.

Regards,
Maciej