[whatwg] <video> title or alt attribute

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:04:13 +0200
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:57:16 +0200, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org>
wrote:
> Is the intention that fallback content inside the <video> element is
> displayed for all of
>
> 1. the source URL throws an error
> 2. the user agent has video "switched off" somehow
> 3. the user agent doesn't support <video> ?
>
> Obviously (3) comes by default without changes. If the above is the
> intention then obviously the fallback content is the alternative
> rendering and so you don't need alt.

Currently alternative content for <audio> and <video> isn't dealt with
very well, I think. It does address fallback content for older user agents
but it does not address disabling support for video and not being able to
support video (Lynx) at least. Ian mentioned on IRC yesterday he will look
into that at some point.

Regarding your first point above. If that happens the author will have to
ensure proper fallback I think. Given that video itself can go wrong at
times as well showing fallback when something goes wrong makes it quite
complicated I'm afraid.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>