[whatwg] sarcasm

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:18:23 -0700
Hello,

On 4/24/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> It occurs to me that one of the most frequently used nits of
> pseudo-markup is to indicate sarcasm. For example,
>
> <sarcasm>Yeah, George W. Bush has been such a great president.</sarcasm>
>
> Should we perhaps formalize this? Is there any benefit to be achieved by
> adding an explicit sarcasm element to HTML?

An interesting proposal.

Some other things to consider is some of the other ways people mark up
sarcasm.

Some people mark it with a winking smiley.  As in...

;-)

Or...

;)

Although, this tends to be when a person is being sarcastic to be funny or
to tease someone.

I don't believe I've ever seen (or used myself) the winking smiley when I'm
being sarcastic AND I'm trying to be mean to the person, to in a heated
argument.  (I.e., using sarcasm to "make a point".)

Also... I've heard that Ethiopian Semitic languages and French actually has
a punctuation mark for sarcasm.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.