[whatwg] Web Documents off the Web (was Web Archives)

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:00:00 -0400
On 4/17/07, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/4/17, Jon Barnett:
> >
> > The main gripe about [MHTML] was that binary data is base64 encoded,
> > which adds size to the file in the end.
>
> And which is a wrong assumption.
> Binary data can be sent with Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary.

Here's an example just in case anyone needs to see it.
<http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/mht/000.mht>

The HTML and css are attachments and testpage.png is a binary
attachment in the file. View source to see all the data.

The archive works in IE and Opera.  The Mozilla Archive Format
extension doesn't handle it.  Safari I hear doesn't support mht. None
of them will generate an archive with a binary attachment.

As one can see, the archive works remotely, but will also work offline
if you saved the .mht file.

--
Michael