[whatwg] IE/Win treats backslashes in path as forward slashes

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:07:18 -0400
On 4/11/07, Kornel Lesinski <kornel at osiolki.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:02:39 +0100, Geoffrey Sneddon
> <foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Looking through the spec again, there is nothing about backslashes in
> > URI's path being treated as a forward slash, behaviour needed for
> > compatibility for quite a few websites.
>
> I think it can be added.

If we're specifically talking about URIs that specify paths , then, \
-> / for handling of improperly-encoded URIs is good.

However, we can't specify this for all URIs (just saying). Flipping
raw backslashes (even though they should really be encoded) in <a
href="mailto:uridata"> for example, should not be done.

If we do specify this, we have to be more specific than "path" because
'path' does not necessarily mean URI.

--
Michael