[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I think I'd rather have something simple such as
> prefix_name for extensions made by ECMAScript libraries, etc. (As
> opposed to an in scope xmlns:prefix="http://..." with prefix:name
> extensions which work differently in XML.) That would also work better
> for element extensions. Not any of this should be allowed, but there
> seems to be some desire to have an ability to introduce "conforming"
> extension elements / attributes which are implemented using a script
> library.

This leads into lots of tangents.

1) re: "prefix_name" - how are prefixes registered?  Henri is free to
correct me if I am wrong, but I gathered that the requirement was for a
bit of decentralized extensibility, i.e., the notion that anybody for
any reason could defined an extension for holding private data; and
furthermore could do so without undo fear of collision.

2) I assert that the existing DOM standard already defines a mechanism
for decentralized extensibility.  Most relevant to the discussion at
hand is the getAttributeNS method.  It may not be defined as clearly as
it could be, but there does seem to be some clues which suggest what the
original intent was, and the beginnings of an agreement that if more
browsers were to conform to that intent, that would be a GOOD THING(TM).

3) There already is spec text which indicates how html5 defined elements
are to be handled with respect to getElementsByTagNameNS.  Perhaps it
would again be a GOOD THING(TM) if this was also codified for
attributes.  I believe that this is consistent with what Maciej is
calling for.

4) One thing that needs to be mentioned is that compliance to the DOM
standard varies widely.  In the long term, perhaps browser vendors could
do a better job of this, and perhaps the HTML5 effort can help put a
focus on this need.  In the short term, however, this can be dealt with
via JavaScript.  Encapsulating and dealing with browser
incompatibilities is an all too common use case for JavaScript.

5) I'm not sure where you draw the conclusion that prefix:name
extensions would work differently than in XML.  While Python's minidom
does not appear to produce the desired results when I call
getElementById, it otherwise seems to handle the document identically to
the way Firefox does:

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2007/04/10/test.py

- Sam Ruby