[whatwg] Give guidance about RFC 4281 codecs parameter

Hello,

On 4/9/07, Dave Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

>  WARNING:  I have CC'd the co-authors of the RFC, as I think they might
> like to see the discussion, comment on my answers, and possibly correct me.
> I also have a question whether there is a typo in the RFC...
>
> * * * * *
>

> Henry
>
> these are all great questions.  Let me see how many I can answer.
>
> Overall, the RFC was struggling with the issue that there is no 'uniform'
> naming of codecs;  the namespace for codecs is dependent on the container
> format, so products that do container conversion have to have tables of code
> matches.  ugh.  That's why the RFC is as it is.
>
> The RFC suggests that updated information would be done with RFCs, which
> is a little heavy.  The RFC as written formally applies to 3GPP files and
> 3GPP2 files, but the definitions are applicable for all ISO-family files.
>
> As you'll see below, 3GPP has also defined it for avc1 in MP4-family
> containers, but no spec. or registration authority provides a pointer.  We
> might want to ask IANA whether we could add something to the MIME registry.
>

> At 11:37  +0300 8/04/07, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>

>  * Theora video and Vorbis audio in Ogg container. (application/ogg; .ogg)
>  * Dirac video and Vorbis audio in Ogg container. (application/ogg; .ogg)
>  * Theora video and Vorbis audio in Matroska container. (video/x-matroska;
> .mkv)
>  * Dirac video and Vorbis audio in Matroska container. (video/x-matroska;
> .mkv)
>

> My understanding is that the Ogg container is 'specific' to these codecs,
> and therefore the codecs parameter is not needed.  But I am not an Ogg or
> Matroska expert;  perhaps they could chime in?

No.  The containers are independent of the codecs put inside.

However, whether software, that supports Ogg or Matroska containers will
actually be able to "play" other codecs is another issue altogether.

[...]

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.