[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:27:27 -0700

On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> At http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2007/04/html_5.html PPK
> suggests having an attribute for storing private data for scripts.
>
> Currently, one can invent an attribute and it will work for
> scripts. However, it will look ugly for conformance checking. Since
> this is essentially a conformance definition issue as browsers
> would not be required to implement anything new (assuming a new
> reflecting attribute on HTMLElement is deemed unnecessary), adding
> an attribute for script-private data would be rather easy.
>
> I think it would be worthwhile to add an attribute for script-
> private data to common attributes, so that scripters who need one
> and want to be conforming don't need to abuse e.g. title.

The class attribute can already be used for script-private data. I
think the time script authors go for made-up attributes is when they
need a set of key-value pairs. Class is not so great for that, but
I'm not sure any new attribute would be either, unless it provided
some sort of built-in key-value parsing.

Regards,
Maciej