[whatwg] Anchor target-attribute extension to enable dom targeting

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:27:11 +0100
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:17:55 +0100, Georges MARZIN
<gmarzin at club-internet.fr> wrote:

>          Click here to dynamicaly load a text/html piece of code into
> the "main_area" identified dom node
>      </a>
>
>      <!-- somewhere in the same document -->
>
> The content of inc/foo.frg in not a complete html page but only a well
> formed xhtml piece of code like :

>        this content is dynamically loaded into a dom node, like ajax,
>        but with a html extended syntax of the target property.

IMHO it isn't much better than:

<iframe name="main_area"></iframe>

It's still as evil as frames - subpages can't be used as standalone
documents (thus bookmarked, returned by search engines, etc), because they
lack proper navigation menus and in your example they're not even proper
documents.

I think that much better and more powerful solution are ID overlays. The
idea is to merge documents instead of completly including one into
another. XUL has something like that:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XUL_Tutorial:Overlays

--
regards, Kornel Lesi?ski