[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

From: Ralph Giles <giles@xiph.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:51:26 -0700
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:12:07AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I don't think Theora (or Dirac) are inherently more interoperable
> than other codecs. There's only one implementation of each so far, so
> there's actually less proof of this than for other codecs.

Just to clarify, there are two different Dirac implementations, and two
different theora decoder implementations. But otherwise your points
stand. There are many implementations of the mpeg codecs.

I'm not sure how many separate implementations ther are of the Windows
Media codecs. FFMPEG has a VC-1 implementation and some decoders for
older formats based on reverse-engineering.

 -r