[whatwg] WF2: required attribute clarification requested

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 07:27:46 -0700
I hear that this question is blocking implementation work so I'm going
to quickly reply to this despite being on holiday. :-)

On 9/6/06, Alex Vincent <ajvincent at gmail.com> wrote:
> "For disabled or readonly controls, the (required) attribute has no effect."
>
> What does this mean?

>From an implementor's point of view, it means nothing at all, because
it isn't a conformance statement (it has no "must", "should", "may",
etc) and isn't a definition (it doesn't define a term). Thus, for your
sake it can be ignored.

> The missingValue bit of validityState is either
> on or off.  Do I need to change the required bit if we're disabled?
> Or should I leave it alone?

missingValue, as defined, is unaffected by whether the control is
disabled or readonly -- it still gets set to true if the value is
missing -- but the control is not validated if it is disabled or
readonly, so it has no effect on submission, which is what I meant by
that sentence.

I'll clarify the spec when I get back from vacation. Right now it's
not very clear when the validity properties get set and when they
don't, which is unfortunate.

HTH,
--
Ian Hickson