[whatwg] WhatWG and <embed>

From: Shadow2531 <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:10:22 -0400
On 9/5/06, Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger at web.de> wrote:
> Shadow2531 wrote:
> > The FF ( trunk or 1.5.0.6) codebase problem doesn't happen with Flash
> > as you can see from :
> >
> > <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
> > codebase="http://www.adobe.com/"
> > data="shockwave/download/triggerpages_mmcom/flash.swf" width="300"
> > height="120"></object>
>
> Hm OK. So there's probably not a general issue with codebase.

Correct

> > Baseurl is a valid param for the windows media plugin.
>
> Doesn't seem like something the browser should know or care about. Also,
> the page says it's only for content embedded in the media file, I'm
> reading that as it doesn't apply to the media file itself.

Original with just codebase + data ( doesn't work in FF ):
<http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/plugins/wmp/004.html>

Fix, which adds baseurl ( works in Firefox ):
<http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/plugins/wmp/004-fix0.html>

You can argue that if wmp needs a baseurl param in that situation,
that's the plugin's fault and the author of the page should take that
into account and add a baseurl, but I'm saying,  codebase + data ->
src isn't enough to make wmp object-tag -compatible in this case (
like it is with other plugins ). Meaning, if wmp is object tag
compatible, codebase + data should be all you need to load the file.

Can someone get MS to fix that?

> > So workarounds are done in the same way, so the same markup works
> > arcross browsers in the same way.
>
> It does. It works the same way in all NPAPI browsers, and if the plugin
> vendor is sensible also in all ActiveX-using browsers. And it would be
> much nicer if workarounds were not in place at all :)

Yes, I'd rather zap all workarounds.

Thanks

--
burnout426