[whatwg] return lowercase hex values for fillStyle and strokeStyle

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:07:35 +0200, Nicholas Shanks
<contact at nickshanks.com> wrote:

>>> It may be the right decision on compatibility grounds, but other than
>>> that lowercase hexadecimal digits (0-9, a-f) are almost always a bad
>>> choice, because a, c and e have no ascenders like every hindu-arabic
>>> decimal digit has and thus make the number harder to read. This
>>> obviously does not apply to fonts with old-style numerals aka. text
>>> figures, where 0, 1 and 2 have neither ascenders (like 6 and 8) nor
>>> descenders (like 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9), but those are rather unlikely to
>>> be used in a programming environment.
>>
>> I believe this, but I suspect that the gain in compatibility is well
>> worth the minor loss in efficiency for people who are hand-coding.
>
> I disagree, and always prefer uppercase hex digits to lowercase ones, it
> makes the numbers easier to read IMO.

That is, I think, what Christopher said and I agreed with. I still think
that compatibility with deployed browsers should, in this case, trump that
usability gain.

cheers

Chaals

   hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com