[whatwg] Lack of standard for digital signatures [was Joe Clark's Criticisms of the WHATWG and HTML 5]

Anders,

As you said, we may not get sufficient informations to standardize
digital signature. But, in case of Korea, I'll sufficiently give them.
The spec. and interface are almost standardized by governmental rules
to all vendors.

In Korea, the own cryptic algorithm has been encouraged, so vendors
couldn't use browser-implemented things such as DES. This is first
reason to use activex controls.

Second is for digital signature. Legally, all data must be signed by
user's key. When the money is sent, it needs to know who sends the
money. So activex control has almost same user interface with
browser's certificate manager.

When an user enters an internet banking site, activex are embedded.
User's data by action go to activex control and are encrypted by SEED
and signed by user's key. Encrypted and signed data gives hidden form
in web page again. When an user submit it, the data were transferred
to web server. The server-side application decrypts and verifies the
data and proceeds proper actions. Web server transfers the web page by
requested actions.

First thing is not standardized. National algorithm such as SEED or
Camella is problems between browser vendor and its governments. Second
can be done such as (re)issue and revocation of personal certificates,
the digital signature such as old crypto.sign.Text().

As following is one of this efforts.
http://middleware.internet2.edu/pki06/proceedings/rundgren-websigning.ppt

Channy