[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

On Oct 31, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:54:12 +0600, David Walbert
> <dwalbert at learnnc.org> wrote:
>
>>> Does anybody know how blind users prefer footnotes to be read for
>>> them?
>
>> I would never want to require that a footnote be read to anyone,
>> thereby interrupting the text -- it is in the nature of a footnote to
>> be optional reading and to stand apart from the text. Any user should
>> have the option of reading/hearing it, or not.
>
> But how would the user know that there is a footnote anchored to a
> specific place?

Right now, in the absence of unique markup, it's simply done with a
link, where the title attribute tells you it's a footnote. A link
after the note can return you to the body of the text (Wikipedia does
something like this, but I prefer the link to be at the end of the
note rather than at the beginning). If you want to read or hear the
note you can follow the link, but you can also skip it, just as for
print footnotes.

___
David Walbert
LEARN NC