[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:10:30 +0100
David Hyatt wrote:
> I'm very reluctant to expose font metrics and information (yet).  I
> think once you start getting into specifying fonts, you open up a can of
> worms that would make this sort of API addition a lot harder.

I still believe that any api that does not allow the author to query the size of
the text bounding-box[1], i.e. the overall width and height of the box enclosing
the text fragment, is useless for many of the use cases presented so far e.g.
figure labelling as, without this information, it is impossible to ensure that
adjacent text fragments do not overlap.

[1] I mean that in a non-technical sense