[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

I think a drawText method would be extremely useful.

Rather than specifying stylistic information explicitly (via a font
object), I'd use a special parenthetical pseudo-element. thus
allowing the author to specify the style as for any other element on
a page.... something like this...

canvas::canvas-text(barchart)
{
	font-size: 8px;
	font-family: Monaco, monospace;
}

and then the API would be something like:

drawText(y-coord of baseline, "barchart", myText)

and letter-spacing/word-spacing would work, small-caps would work,
text-shadow would work, etc. etc.

fitTextToPath might be an interesting API too.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)